Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I do this course?

To work as a Security Guard, Door Supervisor or CCTV (PSS) operator in the UK you must hold a SIA Licence for that sector. The Security Industry Act 2001 made it an offence for anyone to work or supply a Security Officer under contract without a SIA Security Licence.

What are your course fees?

For up to date fee information check your course booking pages or go directly online at security training courses


What is Security Guarding?

Security guarding course – You will learn that security guarding means guarding property against destruction or damage, against being stolen or against being otherwise dishonestly taken or obtained.  The job training includes reception & access control and patrol duties.

What is the difference between Security Guarding and Door Supervision?

Door Supervision course: You will learn from the training course  door supervisors training course that Door supervisors are responsible for security, protection or screening the suitability of persons entering licensed premises or dealing with conflict in Pubs, Nightclubs and other licensed premises open to the public, including Cinemas, Football Stadia, and Theatres etc. However, Door Supervisors can legally perform security guarding roles in non-licensed premises. On the other hand, Security Guards are responsible for security in non-licensed premises, such as buildings, office blocks, retail sites, construction sites, security receptions and other non-licensed premises. Security Guards cannot legally perform Door Supervision roles in “licensed premises”.

What is PSS CCTV?

PSS CCTV course: A Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) licence is required when manned guarding activities are carried out through the use of closed circuit television equipment to:
– monitor the activities of a member of the public in a public or private place; or
– identify a particular person.

Go here for details of the CCTV training, cctv operators training course


Do I require any previous qualification or training to enrol?

There is NO requirement for any previous qualification or experience. This course satisfies mandatory training/qualification requirements for SIA Licence and minimum age is 18 years.


How long will it take to complete the SIA Security Training course and what is the timing?

Training starts at 10am for all SIA courses and runs for an average of 9 training hours per day for 4 days only

On completion of the training, when do I receive my certificate?

Your certificate arrives by post within 2-3 weeks of completing the training and you can apply for SIA licence immediately.


What do I do when I receive my certificate?

Apply for SIA licence by registering your details on the SIA website.  When you apply for SIA licence it can take up to 6 weeks to receive your SIA Security licence aka badge.

Can I work whilst I am waiting for my licence application to process?

Yes, you can work as soon as you receive an acknowledgement letter from the SIA, which can take 2 weeks following your SIA licence application. It is important to point that not all Security companies will accept SIA reply letters acknowledging your licence application. The SIA runs an “approved contractors’ scheme” and it is only the Security companies that are on this scheme and ‘operating under a licence dispensation notice’ that might consider you for work if you meet their requirements.

Do you help in job search?

Yes. As soon as you receive your SIA licence send us an email and we will refer you to our partners.

I am not fluent in English Language; can I pass this course?

Your Trainer will carry out English Language and literacy test on the first day of training as part of an initial assessment. At the end of this initial assessment the trainer will tell you if you have a good chance of passing this SIA course. If the trainer cannot accept you on the course you will be refunded any fees paid, the way, your English Language skills might not be as bad as you might think!!

What is your Pass Rate?

We have approximately 97% pass rate because all our trainers are former Security Guards, former Door Supervisors and former CCTV operators with over 15 years’ experience in the frontline Security. Our trainers adopt a practical approach to every topic reinforced with good demonstrations thereby making the training interesting. Apart from the standard teaching qualification required by the Security Industry Authority (SIA), 90% of our Security Trainers are holders of BA Hons or B.Sc. Hons in other disciplines.

How do I book a SIA course and pay by credit or debit card?

Please book ONLINE at door supervisors training course 


What Documents do I need?
You need one photo ID (Passport or Driving Licence) and two forms of proof of address.


I already have the Manned Guarding SIA Licence – blue stripe on card, I would like to upgrade to Door Supervisor (orange stripe), is there a shorter upgrade course I can do, or should I do the whole Door Supervision training course?

With the SIA licence training courses, there are no upgrades or down grades. All SIA training courses required for SIA licence are level 2 courses and therefore there is no upgrades or downgrades facility. If you already hold SIA licence for CCTV for example, to get a Door Supervision licence you need a full Door Supervision training and vice versa. To get a Door Supervision licence, you need to complete a Door Supervision training course.

Should I wait until my current manned guarding licence expires before I can apply for a new licence?

If you already hold Security Guarding licence or any SIA licence you do not have to wait until it expires before applying for Door supervisor licence or any additional licence. On your SIA licence application form, you will be asked to disclose your existing SIA licence number.

Once I have done the SIA course for my second licence, what is the procedure with the SIA for applying for the Door Supervisor licence when I already have an SIA licence?

Applications for SIA licence renewal or additional licence are made using the same application form for a new SIA licence. There is no separate form for renewal or additional licence. You will still need to pay the full fees for SIA licence. If it is your second licence, and you will be able to claim 50% back provided your first SIA licence or the licence before your latest application is still valid on the date the SIA decides your application for licence.

Where do I attend the SIA Security training?

Course Venues: We have centres at Lambeth, Southwark, Camberwell, Canary Wharf and London Borough of Merton.  All within 3 miles or less, of: Elephant and Castle SE1, Kennington SE11, Oval, Camberwell SE5, Peckham SE15, Westminster, London Bridge, Brixton SW9, Streatham SW16, Clapham & Vauxhall SW4, New Cross SE4, New Cross Gate SE3, Old Kent Road, Colliers wood, Tooting, Balham, Modern, Epsom Surrey, Bermondsey, Surrey Quays, Woolwich, Greenwich, Lewisham SE13, Crystal Palace, Croydon CR1, Upper Norwood SE19, Norwood, Waterloo, Woolwich, Herne Hill London SE24, Chatham, Rochester Kent.

Popular Courses



Buy Now